COMING SOON - Enquire now
At FABIC we call our Disability Support Workers, FABIC Life Skills Developers (FLSD) who specialise in providing support for people (teammate) to learn and develop life skills, which increase their independence and capacity in a range of areas of life according to their requirements.
The aim of our Life Skills Developers is to make themselves redundant!
This is part of the FABIC philosophy; to support and provide people with life skills, in all settings, so that FABIC services are no longer required. We understand that this is not always possible and a FABIC Life Skills Developer may be required for the long-term, however our focus is always on supporting Teammates to increase their own skills leading to increased independence.
This means our support services are highly personalised to each individual person so that they can maximise all the opportunities that life offers in each unique Classroom of Life.
We understand that not all teammates will reach full independence however our FABIC Life Skills Developers assist all Teammates to walk towards living and reaching their full potential – a potential that has no fixed point – as one nears closer to their current potential, a next is always on offer ready to advance to.
About our Life Skills Developers
FABIC Life Skills Developers are carefully selected to ensure they have the qualities and skills to work in accordance with the FABIC model and ethos and provide high-quality support services.
The FABIC ethos embraces:
At the core of every person is an awesome amazing and lovable being
Behaviour (and labels) is not who a person is – it is what they do.
All behaviour happens for a reason; it is to be understood and never judged.
Unwanted behaviour is preceded by anxiety which occurs when a person is in a part of life they perceive they do not YET have the required skills to respond to.
Our role is to make our role redundant – thus, skills building is the focus when we are with team mates.
Decency, care, respect, understanding and willingness to support are foundational to each and every interaction with any person.
Open, honest, clear, concise and transparent communication is essential.
Life does not need to be serious; on the learning path we advocate for fun, laughter and a light-hearted approach to embracing the unique life lessons in each person’s classroom of life – with a bounce of joy in our step.
All Life Skills Developers are required to:
Have passed NDIS Worker Vetting requirements.
Complete all NDIS mandatory training.
Complete the FABIC Life Skills Developer training and development program.
Complete any specialised training to meet the needs of every client they support.
Participate in ongoing training specific to clients’ support plans.
Support Services Offered/Available
- We provide support services to both private and NDIS-funded clients equally.
- Private clients can access any of our services of their choice.
- If you have a NDIS plan, we can provide services under the Capacity Building Supports Budget and will be able to provide supports under the Core Support Budget in the near future.
Under the Capacity Building Budget, we can provide:
Increased Social & Community Participation
- This is when our team of Life Skills Developers support you to develop the life skills to take part in recreational and vocational activities in the local community.
Improved Health & Wellbeing
- We can provide a specialist support from qualified trainers who provide programs and mentoring to help you build and remain fit and healthy and able to feel energised.
Improved Daily Living
- Here we can provide support for you to learn new skills to increase your capacity and independence and maximise opportunities in their daily routines, home setting, local community and in life as a whole.
In the near future, under the Core Support Budget, we will be able to provide:
Assistance with Daily Life
- This covers a range of day-to-day tasks such as assisting you with and developing life skills for:
Attending to your garden
Completing the laundry
In fact, any life skill that brings focus to increased independence, capacity and quality of life.
Assistance with Social and Community Participation
- FABIC Life Skills Developers can shadow and support embracing all life lessons on offer during outings in the local community. Team mates can be supported to attend local services, go on walks, to the beach, shops, cafes or the library, attend social events and other locations that support a team mate’s increased quality of life.
- Need to get from A to B? From home into the community, to social events, school, work etc? We can support travel to places you need to go to if you have allocation for travel. This could include for work or to achieve any other goals you may have.
Where can you access our Support Services?
We currently provide support services in the Gold Coast region in Queensland and are quickly expanding to the surrounding areas including Brisbane.
Steps to Access Support Services
- Contact the FABIC Client Services Coordinator
- Contact anytime to book a free support consultation
- Call +61 7 5530 5099 or email
Step 2: Free Support Consultation
- We can come to meet both the (potential) team mate and lead support team member in person, via video conferencing or phone to discuss specific support requirements.
- We will endeavour to answer any questions you may have and provide you with the necessary information to ensure we all have the same one understanding and are working towards the same goals.
Step 3: Support Plan Development
- We will develop a personalised plan of support around your requirements, involving you at every stage.
- All necessary additional information will be provided and collected so that the service we provide is of the highest quality.
Step 4: Meet your Life Skills Developer
- We will carefully select a suitable FABIC Life Skills Developer to match your requirements and personality and arrange an introduction before support services start.
Step 5: Start Support Services
We endeavour to ensure you always have a familiar FABIC Life Skills Developer provide your support.
- We will regularly be in touch with you to make sure everything is going well and make changes if necessary.
Get in touch today for more information and to arrange a support consult.
FABIC Client Services Coordinator
Client Services Coordinator
Michael is an experienced and qualified Registered Manager of Health and Social Care Services, including those in the community and people’s own homes. He is passionate about high-quality personalised care and support that meet people’s specific requirements. This includes the application of the FABIC Body Life Skills Program in all settings to truly support a deeper and yet simple way to understand behaviour and provide support for lasting behaviour change.
Michael leads, develops and coordinates client-centred support services based on these foundational principles which enable people to maximise the opportunities available to them, including focussing on the development of life skills to increase independence and capacity and reduce or remove the requirement for support.
As part of an all-encompassing approach to all people equally, Michael also brings focus to the development of both individual staff members and teams to be fully supported, mentored and nurtured to reach their full potential and then realise there is more, and in doing so provide the highest possible quality service to clients.