How is Fabic different to other psychology and counselling clinics?
Fabic staff are more interested in the reason why the behaviour is occurring, rather than solely focussing on the unwanted behaviour itself.
Fabic’s philosophy states that all behaviour is happening for a reason and at Fabic we believe that unwanted behaviour is often a person’s only existing means to manage in a situation they find difficult to understand and negotiate. Fabic clinicians are highly focussed on teaching people to understand the reasons for behaviour along with teaching new appropriate behaviours to respond to situations they are finding challenging. At Fabic, we teach and provide tools that are easy to implement in everyday real life situations.
Fabic take a holistic approach and if deemed appropriate will involve significant others throughout clinical sessions to ensure that all persons involved develop a greater understanding of the behaviour used by the individual seeking support.
Fabic staff emphasise that all people experience the same world differently, remembering that different does not mean wrong. To understand one person’s behaviour choice we must attempt to understand how that individual is perceiving their world ... thus attempting to understand their challenging situations and reasons for their behaviour choices.
Where is Fabic?
Fabic is located at Worongary on the Gold Coast (on the Pacific Highway between Robina and Nerang). However, Skype (video conferencing via internet) and telephone allows Fabic to provide clinical services to Australia, New Zealand and other nations. Fabic staff are also available to present workshops and provide consultancy services at your location. Please contact Fabic for further information.
My child has been suspended from school, can you help me?
Individual consultations will focus on identifying the challenges that your child is faced with on a daily basis in the school setting, thus identifying the reasons why they were suspended. Subsequent consultations will focus on teaching your child new skills; new appropriate behaviours to manage more successfully in their school environment; thus learning new means of responding to events they are finding challenging at school
Fabic’s philosophy is based on providing education to ALL people involved in the client’s life aimed at increasing each person’s understanding of how one individual is experiencing the world. Therefore intervention consultations may also involve supporting the school staff to implement effective strategies in your child’s school environment.
I know someone who has just received a diagnosis of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder & Aspergers Syndrome) or PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder). Can Fabic help?
Fabic’s clinical staff have extensive experience with people who are on the Autistic Spectrum and have a solid understanding of the unique challenges people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder are faced with. Fabic clinicians have been presenting Autism Specific workshops locally on the Gold Coast and nationally aimed at supporting those spending time with a person with an ASD or PDD-NOS to gain understanding and increased skills
If the person is under the age of seven you may be eligible to receive Fabic service under the “Helping Children With Autism Package”. Please contact Fabic if you have questions about the HCWA Package.
I am an adult with depression and anxiety, can Fabic assist me?
Yes. Depression occurs as people perceive that the world is full of challenging situations. Individual consultations focus on identifying the challenges the individual is faced with on a daily basis – how they perceive the world. And then teaching new skills, new appropriate behaviours to manage those challenges effectively.
I am a psychologist, are Fabic’s training courses suitable for me?
Yes, Fabic courses focus on increasing a person’s ability to find the reason WHY challenging behaviour is occurring and provides knowledge from a different perspective. Once the reason for behaviour is understood, effective interventions can be developed. Many psychologists have attended all 3 of Fabic’s workshop, and found that they were provided with a different perspective on understanding challenging behaviour.
I am a parent, is the 'Understanding Behaviour" suitable for me to attend?
Yes, Understanding Behaviour focuses on increasing a person’s ability to find the reason WHY challenging behaviour is occurring. As you are the person spending the most time with your child, you are the best person to have this skill in identifying why difficult behaviour occurs. If you are able to find the reason why, you will be able to better support your child by teaching them new behaviours to gain access to their needs and wants.
Which workshop is best to attend?
All workshop are intended to support an individual to understand and change unwanted behaviours. Although all with a similar focal point, each workshop has a an indvidual focus:
- Understanding Behaviour - Focuses on teaching participants to gain an in-depth understanding as to the reasons why an unwanted behaviours occur... an essential step prior to developing effective behavioural change strategies.
This workshop’s focus is UNDERSTANDING WHY unwanted behaviours are being used.
- Changing Behaviour - Focuses on introducing attendees to the common strategies applied by Fabic clinicians and teaches participants how to individualise some of the intervention templates used at Fabic.
This workshop’s focus is changing unwanted behaviours
Understanding Aspergers & ASD – Focuses on supporting those spending time with a person whom has an ASD to understand how they are perceiving the same world we all live in differently.
This workshops focus is on UNDERSTANDING AUTISM
Can you do consultations in distant places?
Yes. Skype (video conferencing via internet) allows Fabic to provide clinical services to Australia, New Zealand and other nations. Fabic staff are also available to present workshops and provide consultancy services at your location. Please contact Fabic for further information.
Can I obtain funding to use Fabic services?
Funding is up to each individual to source themself but certainly there are options available for some people to access Fabic services if you are unable to self fund. This will be based on you meeting the criteria as established by the specific funding organisations and is independent of Fabic.
The helping children with autism package allows for those whom have written approval to access Fabic’s clinical and training services up until the child’s 7th birthday.
Medicare rebates are available for some clinical services that are provided by Shannan. You will require a referral letter from your GP to access this rebate.
Local Disability Service:
There will be organisations within your local community that may be able to offer financial support to gain clinical interventions. Often these organisations are funded by state or commonwealth initiatives. You will need to research your local area to see if this option is available to you.
State Disability Services:
Some state disability services are able to provide financial support for you to seek services from Fabic. This is up to you to organise but please contact your state disability service to seek information relevant to you:
Queensland: Disability services Queensland (DSQ)
- 1800 177 120
New South Wales: Department of Ageing, Disability and Home Care
- (02) 8270 2000
Victoria: Disability Services Victoria
- 1800 783 783
Tasmania: Department Health & Human Service (DHHS)
- 1300 135 513
South Australia: Disability SA (DSA)
- 1300 786 117
- 1800 998 214
- (08) 8999 240
Some commonwealth agencies are able to provide support to those whom meet their criteria. For further information contact:
Commonwealth Respite & Carelink Centres
- 1800 052 222
- "The information was presented in a very clear and structured manner. One of the best presented workshops I've been to in a long time"
- "The practical application of the sequential approach was great. I would like to see this and the follow up workshop repeated on an annual basis. It will help me with staff coaching"
- "Thank you. This workshop was very practical. A great template to overlay what can often be a very perplexing situation!"
- "The course was informative and understandable and I enjoyed it. I loved the understanding that it gives of how the world is for an ASD person "
- "As a presenter. Tan was very calming and well presented. Lots of useful strategies and examples were given. Informative and not too technical."
- "Thank you Tan for providing an interesting approach to an ordinary day in the life of a parent with ASD. I will be able to implement many of these strategies in our home."
- "Great strategies for improving/assisting the lives of people we support plus implementing the sequence of Behaviour. Excellent and easy to understand"
- "I appreciated the real life examples which were very easy to follow and understand"
- "Well presented - Congratulations. Clear, concise and relevant. Presenter knew her stuff!"
- "Very pleased with the course. Completely different understanding on how to help my autistic son."
- "The whole concept of collecting data is very useful to me. The thermometer concept is excellent!"
- "Many thanks Tan. A very informative session. I have learned a lot about ASD"
- "I found this course really understandable and I could use what I had learned right away and put it into practice."